It’s a new year! A chance for a fresh start. I love it! Here’s hoping that this year brings you only the best. And here are some tips to help you stay healthy and motivated in the coming year:
- Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning. It will set you up to stay hydrated all day long. Try to drink at least the equivalent of half your body weight (in oz) throughout the day. Proper hydration will help your body function more effectively and it will also help you think more clearly.
- Get moving. Walks are a great way to get you (and your pets) a few extra steps each day. It’s also a great way to plan scheduled breaks into you busy day.
- Set a goal of trying one new thing a month. With so many how-to videos on the internet, we can virtually teach ourselves how to do anything. How about trying some different forms of staying active, like yoga, stretching, strength training? There are so many options that there is no reason to let your routine get boring.
- Get outside and experience nature. Even if you only go out for only 5 minutes, a little fresh-air goes a LONG way. Being out in nature has been shown to improve your mood and your outlook on life.
- Create a sleep routine. Unplug from electronics at least 1-2 hours before going to bed. Sleep helps our health in so many ways, so try to make sure you set yourself up for a restful night. Your daytime self with thank you!
- Start a gratitude practice. Set the tone by writing down 3 things you are grateful for each day before you go to bed. Despite all the less-than-pleasant and crazy things going on these days, there really is a lot to be thankful for. I am especially grateful that you are part of our community!
If you need some accountability to get out for a walk, a run, a hike, or just to take a break in your day, you can join the WIM group Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for 30 minutes to get out, get some fresh and give yourself a mental and physical break during your day. I hope to see you there! You can register to receive the zoom link here.
And if you are looking for some activities you can do anywhere, anytime in just a few minutes each day, here is a recap of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Challenge to get you started: